Thursday, 3 December 2009

Sunrise, Sunset



The picture above could be our back garden at 8 a.m.

One of the most striking things when I first lived in England for a while in 2001 was the lovely, long length of day in summer.  It was even better than visiting Minnesota, where we marveled that in the summertime, it wasn't uncommon for the neighbors to start mowing the grass at 5:30 in the morning.  Lawncare lunatics.

It's not quite the winter of my discontent, but I could use a dose of light therapy.  According to the statistics, today's sunrise was at 7:47 a.m., and sunset will be at 3:54 p.m.   Add mizzle to the equation, and it's a bit dreary.  One of my favorite songs is "Comeback (Light Therapy)" by Josh Rouse, and I finally see what he meant, living in Norway.  The bridge lyrics are stuck in my head:
I miss my seratonin
My days are going nowhere fast
I'm counting down until the longest day of the year, the winter solstice on Dec 21.  Sunrise will be at 8:04 a.m., and sunset at 3:53 p.m.  We have being this far north to thank, but luckily, the jet stream spares us from the drastic temperature swings of our fellow latitudinal dwellers.

If you've ever seen the Emma Thompson version of "Sense and Sensibility," one of my favorite characters is the Dashwood's littlest sister, Margaret.  She loved her atlas dearly, as does Chumley.  In fact, one of his pure joys in life is consulting the atlas, even though it is circa 1984 and the Balkans are all wonky.  It turns out we are almost on the 53rd parallel, roughly the same as Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, the Aleutian Islands, and Upper Mongolia.  Today's high is 44F here, but its a puny high of 24F in Saskatoon with snow showers.

I won't grouse too much because we are redeemed by endless summer.  On the summer solstice next June, sunrise is at 4:43 a.m., and sunset is at 9:22 p.m., although it is so slow, it will easily be very last light at 10:30 p.m.. Croquet until the cows come home!

My sunglasses are on standby.  As we are a transparent people, tanning is not an option.

2 comments:

ChaChaneen said...

Wow, very interesting. Unless you experience it, the idea of the light of day isn't something you really think about. Thanks for sharing!

Grace said...

"... wonky" HA! I still can't bring myself to use that term.