Thursday, 10 September 2009

Craving Junk Mail


I never thought I'd say this, but I would kill for a credit card application. Or a magazine offer. Perhaps even a come-on for new windows? In the last two weeks, I think we've had mail delivered twice. Why, one asks? It's a stupid postal strike in action.

Our news has reported that more than a half million pieces of undelivered mail are sitting in our town, with 20 million waiting in London, a million in Bristol, and 250,000 in Leeds. I hate to get on my high American horse, but how is this allowed to happen? They were privatized years ago, that's how. Royal Mail is apparently cutting jobs, hours, and overtime, and the Communication Workers Union isn't going to take it anymore. Or take any more deliveries, for that matter.

Meanwhile, there have been stories on the news about people whose birthdays have been absolutely ruined for lack of a single, stinking birthday card. Our neighbor has a new grandchild whose been left out in the cold with not one congratulations card received. Granted, these are lightweight worries, but imagine the number of people waiting to hear on jobs or benefits. Worse yet, people might be expecting checks and out money. I've been waiting on my Tesco Club Card for more than a month now. My patience is puny and my temporary paper card is pulverized. Oh, the humanity.

I think the sniping is ill-timed considering the number of people who've plain lost their job. A friend of ours works for Royal Mail on a wonderful scheme where she merely has to work a couple weeks a year in order to retain all her seniority and benefits while she and her husband moved to the States. Don't forget that England is the land of at least a month's paid holiday, as well. My sympathy stores are on empty, I'm afraid. Maybe the bolshie American colonials have this one right:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.


Nor industrial dustups, I might add.

2 comments:

and another thing said...

So you didn't get my postcard, then?

Claire said...

We did finally, and thank you for it - I think the mail depot has started unclogging the backlog.